“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ....Oscar Wilde

Tuesday 29 March 2011

Avocado planting

I've wanted to try and grow my own avocado for quite some time now. Each time I cut one open I'd vow I'd give it a go. I'm not sure whether or not its something I'll be able to manage but that's never stopped me having a go planting things before...

Finally I've got one underway

I was thrilled to see the tiny root system....
Unfortunately, things seem to have remained static over the last week or so - it could have had something to do with the fact that I accidentally caught the root and chopped it in half when I changed the water :-(
Oh well...back to the drawing board....
I'm beginning to think I'll have to start a new one. I'll keep you posted.
Meanwhile my little lemon trees are coming on beautifully. These seedlings were already sprouting out of a lemon when I cut it in half. Its the first time I've ever seen that.
The mug by the way, was a little favourite of mine from the UK. Alan Titchmarsh (gardener, author, tv presenter) designed them and I did have a soft spot for it.
But unfortunately the possums didn't.....
I heard them on the decking the other night accompanied by a crash....and yes, you've guessed it....so much for that treasure...pesky possums!
A neighbour recently told me that last year, she had a trap set up in her garden to catch and release her resident possum into the wild....basically anywhere far enough away, but she actually captured 59 over a period of time. Eek!
I'm not sure if they were one and the same - just making a hasty retreat back to base camp - or if they were all different!
That's some serious commitment on all parts....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I get so excited to see you here and love to read your thoughts and comments.
I always try to answer each one personally (I think it's only polite)
...♥...I truly appreciate your precious time here so thank you ...♥...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...