“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ....Oscar Wilde

Tuesday 28 February 2012

Melbourne Symphony Orchestra ~ Summer Open Air Concert

I've been a busy social butterfly over the last week or so...which has been brilliant but soooooo tiring. After Russell's concert on Thursday night, I had a girlie night on Friday at a cocktail bar for a friend’s birthday...I'm afraid that's about as much as I'm going to say about that night, although I do want to tell you I didn't succumb to the cocktails....I was a very good girl and had only mocktails. They were really good and so was the food too.
Summer in Melbourne is full of free events that all contribute to a global reputation as a city that cherishes the arts and culture. So on Saturday night we took advantage with tickets for a sunset concert in the unique canopy of the Sidney Myer Music Bowl. The temperature was a souring 38°C, but even so masses of Victorians made their way to the outdoor setting, coming together for the annual summer ritual of relaxing on the sloping lawn with family and friends in the twilight orchestral concert. Some were obviously seasoned audience members carrying cool bags, blankets, folding chairs and almost everything but the kitchen sink!
We thankfully had seats...in fact really good seats ~ only seven rows in. We had an amazing treat and an experience that I will remember for quite some time.


The Melbourne Symphony Orchestra has performed at this popular venue for more than 50 years and each year more than 40,000 people enjoy its world class performances.The Sidney Myer free concerts are performed four times a year giving access for everyone and anyone to appreciate outstanding performances by the MSO as well as others.

 The conductor, Diego Matheuz is just 27 years old. He is also a violinist and graduated from the internationally known Venezuelan Sistema and is acknowledged as one of today's most promising talents.

It was extremely hot at the beginning of the concert and I really did feel for the conductor and the orchestra. They must have felt they would melt, but undeterred they played brilliantly. First Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet: Suite No. 2, Marquez Danzon No. 2, Piazzolla The Four Seasons and Moncayo Huapango.

We were to hear Kristian Winther play the violin solo but due to illness he wasn't able to perform. At this stage I feel I need your help because the violin solo was played by someone who stepped into the breach with very little notice but unfortunately I didn't catch his name. 
Maybe you can let me know...? He was such an exceptional player, I feel so embarrassed that I don't know his name. The audience seemed to immediately recognise and appreciated his talent.

Here he is in the photo...do you know him?



Thank you MSO and Diego for another magical night....


The last shot of the Music Bowl as we were leaving.....the long slow walk up the hill


Before I sign off I have a little confession to make....yes another one.
  We had passes for the interval and after concert party and I'm afraid I gave in! My Feb Fast (no alcohol for February) ruined. It was the waiter's fault really, because he passed so near with his tray of champagne and was so insistent that I could take one...plus I didn't think he'd get my abstaining free champagne story (I must look a champers kinda gal) so before I knew it the glass was in my hand! Don't forget it was about 34 degrees still and the champagne was beautifully chilled. So there you have it. Sorry : (
I have to tell you though that I haven't taken a drop since and will carry on over the end of the month to try and make up for it....will that suffice? ;$
Hey boys... I've got something steamy for you on my next post ;D watch this space....
Have a terrific Tuesday and I'll be back tomorrow ~ Ciao for now

2 comments:

  1. Sounds a wonderful evening Neesie! I can only imagine the atmosphere. It must have been charged with excitement! Don't beat yourself up too much about the champers. You are entitled to a slip up now and then! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Marie...you're so kind to forgive me.
      It's amazing how guilty I felt, but it was good and added to the whole experience. It was a very special night xoxo

      Delete

I get so excited to see you here and love to read your thoughts and comments.
I always try to answer each one personally (I think it's only polite)
...♥...I truly appreciate your precious time here so thank you ...♥...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...