“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ....Oscar Wilde

Saturday 25 February 2012

Russell Watson Concert at the Regent Theatre, Melbourne

Have you missed me???? I hope so. I can't believe I haven't had the time to natter with you since Wednesday, but let me tell you I have been in a social whirl! 
I must first tell you about Thursday night and the Russell Watson concert....what a treat! I headed into the city for my rendezvous with my OH for a bite to eat before the concert. The public transport I think is great here although quite a few Melbournians complain about it. It's certainly not a good idea to take the car into the city unless you have megga bucks due to the time restrains on parking spaces or the amount charged in car parks. That is if you can possibly find a space in the first place. The plus to public transport is there's no hassle about finding a place...so all that hassle is taken away. 
When I got to the station, I only had a few minutes to wait before my train arrived.....

I'm not sure why my legs look like elephant legs....they really aren't that shape! Promise.
Hmm....where to sit???
Not exactly caught in the rush.....air conditioned too.

After meeting my OH we decided to nip into the Chinese quarter for a Indian...LOL...no I was just checking to see if you were paying attention...obviously we had a chinese banquet.
I didn't take any photos because we were too keen to eat and to arrive at the theatre in time for the start of the concert. I very often hold up meals etc whilst I take a photo which I understand can be quite annoying. So what can you do?...if you're a blogger you're constantly looking at things differently or through the lens of a camera. I know you'll relate to this...

So onto the Regent Theatre in the centre of Melbourne...and what a theatre!

The landmark Regent Theatre holds a key part in the city’s history since opening as a grand picture palace in 1929. Having survived a fire, a flood, twenty years in darkness and many threats of demolition to turn the magnificent theatre into a car park. The venue reopened in August 1996 meticulously refurbished an extravagant, large Spanish gothic hall to its breathtaking former glory.



Today it stands more lavish and grand than ever and continues to host some of the world’s most renowned theatre productions including Disney’s The Lion King, We Will Rock You, Sunset Boulevard, Wicked, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Fiddler on the Roof, Annie,  – The Musical and Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Love Never Dies. 


But I'm forgetting that this post is supposed to be about Russell Watson...but I wanted to set the scene....anyway....please take you're seats ladies and gentlemen the show is about to commence.....but first a few facts.

Russell Watson is the most successful British tenor of all time, he has sung for American presidents, Japanese emperors, British Royalty, an array of European Prime Ministers, Middle-Eastern Sultans, even the late Pope John Paul II who requested a private audience with Russell Watson at the Vatican. There have been eight albums, each one winning more praise than the one before. His first, The Voice, went to No. 1 in the US and the UK and won two Classical Brit awards. Encore was No. 1 in the UK classical charts for 30 weeks and Watson won another two Classical Brit Awards. Every Russell Watson UK release has gone Top 10 in the UK and among them he boasts two Double Platinum certifications, one Platinum and two Gold. But this album, Watson says, is special.

Here's a snippet of his latest release and I apologise to my neighbours because I guess they'll know it well by now....
 

His current album, Russell’s Ninth, was recorded in June 2010 with the Roma Sinfonietta - Ennio Morricone’s orchestra of choice – and produced by Mike Hedges. Stronger, more driven and powerful, his renditions of some of the most loved songs of all time, including La Viva Senza Te, Mario Lanza’s Arrivederci Roma and Speak Softly Love (the theme from The Godfather) are as impressive (the tailored suit certainly added a little 'respect'!) as you’d expect from a man singing with, literally, a new lease of life after overcoming two life-threatening brain tumours.


Russell Watson is a freak....He says so himself  "I've got this voice, you see, and people want to hear it," he explains.That was written on a cover of one his first CD 'the voice'....


I have to admit when you hear a powerful voice belt out and the big voice hits the top note, it does give you goosebumps! Well it does me : D
 
His performance was very moving and at times his emotions were palpable...he's had quite a journey.
The son of a factory worker born in Salford in the heart of the industrial North-West of England. Another bonus point in my book ~ from my part of the world :D

He left school at 16 and began worked in a factory making nuts and bolts...but the voice was always inside building ready to surface and escape. He took a gamble and entered the circuit. There were tough times but one night he was working in a working men's club and finished his set with "Nessun dorma". It was a gamble because those club's can be tough venues, but he received a standing ovation, his first, but not his last and as they say...the rest is history 
He gave permission for the audience to take his photo and we had fun whilst he possed for different shots. The atmosphere was so relaxed I think everyone had such an enjoyable time.

And then of course there's the music and that voice...wow....
His special guest on this tour is Australian soprano Greta Bradman ~ spellbinding is a word that comes to mind when I think back to listening to her sing. Pie Jesu was breathstoppingly beautiful.
Gretas paternal grandfather was the iconic Australian cricketer Sir Donald Bradman, though Greta remembers him most fondly for his passion and talent for music. 



What really was surprising was to hear that Russell and the Metropolitan Orchestra plus the Trinity College Choir only had a few rehearsals during that day, before the performance that evening. The conductor Robert Emery was quite a character and conducted in his bare feet, which Russell commented was perhaps because he didn't pay him enough?...but he said it helped to keep him grounded. Russell and Robert obviously have a good relationship and that came across to the audience. Everyone performed brilliantly and I must say even the audience wowed Russell with our little rendition. 


I think my daughter must have had some secret connection (remember this was her birthday gift to me) because Russell sang 'You'll never walk alone' which possibly brought a tear to my OH eye. In case you aren't aware and there's no reason why you should, this particular song happens to be his football team’s (Liverpool) anthem. Maybe Russell is a fan too?

What a fantastic magical night - Sydney you're in for a treat...look after our boy and make him welcome on Sunday....not forgetting Perth!

16 comments:

  1. oh my gosh what an experience, I felt like I was right there with you, the theater the resturant, so beautiful, the last shot of the two shoes together, the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you came along Laurie. It was a great night wasn't it!
      My hubby sometimes thinks I've lost the plot, especially like when I ask him to put his foot next to mine and take a photo.
      It was naughty really because you're not supposed to put your feet on the chairs, but it was only for a few seconds. They were clean anyway ;D

      Delete
  2. Oh wow Neesie. What a wonderful time you had. I loved taking the journey with you and enjoying the concert through your eyes. I think Russell is a great talent and a natural one. Perhaps one day I will have an opportunity to see him in person too! Love the pic of both your husbands and your foot. How sweet! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful night Marie....and to think he came all this way just to see us! I hope you do get to see and hear him one day because his voice is amazing. He's certainly special!
      Glad you like the foot photo too. xoxo

      Delete
    2. Hey Marie...Russell is to star in a charity concert in aid of ‘Childline’ at Southport on 17th March 2012.
      Tickets are only £25 from atgtickets.com or by phone on 0844 871 3021.
      Southport is so close to you maybe your chance has come sooner than you thought! :D

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Nessie, from Russell-fans visiting Australia from the UK who missed out on the Melbourne concert but are looking forward, now more than ever, to his concerts in Sydney and Perth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to say, sorry, Russell is an ardent Manchester United supporter, and not a Liverpool fan! You may care to take a look at our blog, RainyWeekend.com although Russell does have his own website, Facebook page and Twitter accounts if you're interested in what he's about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi RainyWeekend...thanks for stopping by and leaving your comment. I'll certainly pop over to have a peek at you.

      But now you've spoilt my illusion by telling me that Russell's a Man U supporter...I knew he couldn't be that prefect, there had to be something and that's it!
      I won't pass this snippet of info to my hubby as he thinks he sang 'You'll never walk alone' for him ;D

      Enjoy the rest of the concerts!

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful voice. I am also amazed at how effortless these amazing voices spill from their lips. What a fantastic and memorable night. Oh, the theater was stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It never ceases to amaze me either Susan...I know it isn't, but it appears to be so effortless too. Truly Wonderful!
    The theatre is an incredible venue and really sets the scene that you're in for a special night.
    I hope you enjoy your weekend ~ Lovely to hear from you ;D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love him with a capital L! And how cool that Perth was not forgotten!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that Perth hasn't been forgotten too :D

      I must admit if my daughter hadn't organised our tickets we wouldn't have know Russell was here...so I'd have missed him!
      I didn't see or hear any publicity for the concert which is really strange. It may have been due to the rescheduling of dates perhaps?

      If you're going to see him, I hope you have a fantastic time with a capital 'F'...I'm sure you will and don't forget to come back and let me know! ;D

      Delete
  8. Hi, Neesie. Your description of the concert was so personal and lovely...such incredible talent awakens something in us, doesn't it? Thanks for visiting and commenting on my post (yes, the incomplete one that is now finished :) ) ...it brought me to your wonderful post! How creative that you thought to take a picture of your walkin' feet, and I love the floral sandals with the conservative business wingtips--very cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zuni, so glad you popped by...
      I've had quite a few people mention the shoes! My husband didn't have a clue what I was doing and just gave me a strange look. I met him from his office so hence the businessy brogues.
      I think he now realises that he should just let me get on with my blogging...its harmless enough. LOL :D

      Delete
  9. Sorry, I've been so busy that I'm just now getting to this post. It sounded like an absolutely perfect evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem because I've been the same myself...it's just great that you manage to visit whenever time allows. I'm trying to catch up too.
      It was a fantastic night and one I'll remember for quite some time =)

      Delete

I get so excited to see you here and love to read your thoughts and comments.
I always try to answer each one personally (I think it's only polite)
...♥...I truly appreciate your precious time here so thank you ...♥...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...