“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ....Oscar Wilde

Monday 5 March 2012

It Starts! Whoohoo......

I want to shout it from the roof tops...
No, I didn't win the lottery, or found a chore for wrinkles. It's a lot simpler than that, but no less an achievement for me. For those who have been following my blog for a little while will understand my euphoria! I have finally started to create some artwork.

It all started when one day I strolled into a little shop with a gallery called Opendrawer located on Toorak Road.
Upon chatting to Pru (one of the owners) and finding an immediate liking to her philosophy to life. I wondered around her exhibition and as I came to leave, we chatted a little more. I'd been interested in another artists work that was also displayed around the premises and found that there was to be a workshop coming up in a week or so.
Before I knew it I'd signed on the dotted line. Later guilt set in because the workshop was to be for a full Sunday. Why do we do this to ourselves? The guilt I mean?
When I met Robyn (the other owner) at the actual workshop, she immediately put all my guilt where it should be...not on my shoulders, but kicked to the curb. I was made to feel so welcome...'There's no place for guilt here', 'Just leave it at the door' and the last one 'you just need a good slap' had me in stitches and just what I needed.
The workshop was at the rear of the premises and was a fabulous space. Twelve other guilt free girls met and began a new journey. The journey of discovering black and white pen line drawing.

The artists name is Katherine Devine. Not only did Kate have amazing work to show us, she generously passed on her expertise and home baking! Yes, home baked Muffins too. My idea of heaven, art and baking all in one place...I wanted to live there!

Initally for the first part of the workshop Kate chatted about her work and passed the first project to us. The small leaf at the top of the picture was Kate's example for our first attempt at line drawing. So it was over to us....at this stage I was so enthusiastic that the instructions didn't seem to get through. Maybe it was my cold, or blocked ears or whatever but instead of doing as teacher instructed ~ the leaf she provided...I went ahead and created the monster leaf at the top right hand side. It wasn't until I glanced around at the other ladies that I realised my mistake. Oops I could have been on detention or lost points but Kate very kindly didn't even mention my error, instead she just gave masses of praise and encouragement. (Thanks Kate ; D)



(I have no idea why this photo appears blue because it's certainly not like that ~ only when it's posted! )

After a short lunch break we were then let loose. Armed with our idea produced from a photo which we'd then photocopied to bring along, Kate chatted to each student to weigh up the pro's and con's of our idea's.

Once again I was like a bullet and shot away with my design...the garlic. If you look towards my sidebar on the right, the original photo is there.


I'm thrilled with the outcome of my piece, but please make sure that you take a look at Kate's Gallery to see how the real artist works.
Kate also generously handed out paper, which I've had great pleasure using in my studio this morning. It's a little bare out there at the moment, but I now have things taking up residency....it's evolving and it's SOoooo exciting!

Here's my little play piece from this morning....

(hmm...blue again....maybe blogdom likes blue??? Although my apologies for the photo ~ it's getting late now and the lights moved on...plus it wasn't too sunny in the first place, so maybe that has something to do with it?)


So a huge thank you to Kate for relighting my artist imagination....to Opendrawer for the brilliant venue, great atmosphere and fun loving ethos...and for everyone else who have given my encouragement to get back to drawing and painting...you know who you are, it's really appreciated : D

33 comments:

  1. Oh, just lovely Neesie! I love what you have done. You are amazing! xxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...thanks Marie.
      I tried to set aside time myself, but I never seemed to get there, so the workshop was ideal to kick start the process.
      I had a great day and really enjoyed it. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Your drawings look great! What a great workshop to go to. Very inspring - I'd love to try drawing leaves and flowers by pen; never tried it before. My problem is making the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelli, thanks for stopping by...I know you'll be busy with spring just on it's way, so I really appreciate it ;)
      I know all about trying to make the time because I've been trying for months without success. The workshop made me find that time...

      I couldn't believe how easy it was to get started.
      You could use any of your beautiful photos, then make an A4 photocopy of that image. And then away you go... :D

      Delete
  3. Your drawings are great, and what a nice workshop you attended! You must still be on cloud nine! Looking forward to more of your beautiful creations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really did enjoy myself Debbie. I knew as soon as the class settled in and started it was just right for me.
    I hope to get back to the silk painting too. I just need to work on a definite time every day that I'll set aside for my creative side. It'll be tough but I'm determined.
    I hope your week is going well and the blisters have healed ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Neesie
    These drawings are really beautiful. I love the graphic nature of them and how they seem so free-flowing. Lovely!
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karen,
    Thanks so much for your kind comment...It's taken me quite some time to get back to my art but I feel I've finally managed to get my artistic juices flowing again. I just hope I can keep them flowing!

    I really appreciate your time to visit ~ I love to hear from everyone.
    Have a great day and hopefully you'll pop by again soon ;D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your work is absolutely beautiful and I look forward to seeing so much more. You'll be amazed at how quickly it will all come back. I've stopped for years, so many times but the desire never really goes away. I think you'll be happy at how well you'll do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't painted or in fact done anything arty for about 12 years so it's been a slow start.
      It's good to know I'm not alone. ;)
      Thanks so much for stopping by and giving me encouragement :D

      Delete
  8. Thank you scrappymo ~ I'm so thrilled to have all these lovely comments.
    I'm happy you popped in and hope to met you again soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely drawings - I have art cravings too - perhaps a workshop would be an idea ! I stopped by for a WOYWW post but can't see one - have I linked up wrongly ? Anyway - keep up the art !! Ali H #74

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ali, thank you so much for your comment.
      I must admit that the workshop worked for me. It got me focused and with a room full of like minded enthusiastic people you can't help but be inspired.
      Oops maybe I didn't do the link correctly. I'll have to go back and check. Thanks for letting me know :D
      Hope to chat again soon.

      Delete
  10. Hi Nessie, Your blog is lovely, I have joined as a follower so I can came back for visits, You have such beautiful art work "Stunning", Have a great week Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi May, how lovely that you stopped by. I'm thrilled that you like my blog and have chosen to follow me.
      I love blogging so it's great to have feedback especially when its so positive.
      Thanks for the compliments towards my art work too ~ you're very kind. I'm thrilled that I've actually got started again. It's been about 12 years since I did any silk painting so it was time :D

      Delete
  11. Morning Neesie, I just love all your drawings, such gorgeous artwork, they are all stunning :)

    Have a great WOYWW and a fab week, Luv Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,
      Thank you so much for popping by and leaving such a lovely comment.
      I think WOYWW is going to help keep my focus knowing that each Wednesday I need to have some show and tell ;)

      Delete
  12. Congrats on getting the mojo back! The black and whites are just STUNNING! You have talent! Thanks for the peek at your craftiness! Have a great WOYWW! -Amanda 35

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my ScrappnBee you are making me blush!
      Thanks I really appreciate you stopping by. I just need to pop over and visit everyone else now.
      Hope you have a great creative week too :D

      Delete
  13. Wow these are stunning! Love the formation and the shapes. Take care, enjoy this WOYWW & I'm off to snoop some more! Wonder how many I'll get round today? Zo xx 60

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder the same thing too CraftygasheadZo...love the name by the way.
      Thanks for your lovely comment and for making me feel like I can actually do this. Everyone's reaction has blown me away.
      I hope to visit WOYWW later today...unfortunately before that I've work to do.
      Have a great week :D

      Delete
  14. Ohhh I am loving your Zentangles artwork!! I've only done it a few times but it is very therapudic!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley Rock,
      You're so right...I went into a little trance when I was creating these few drawings. My mind just wondered off all alone and untethered! Brilliant :D
      Thanks for popping in and leaving a comment. I love to hear from everyone out there and I hope to visit soon. ;D

      Delete
  15. Beautiful zentangles! I love the head of garlic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danielle,
      Thank you so much for stopping by. I think the head of garlic is my favourite too.
      Have a great week :D

      Delete
  16. Well Neesie, I think Kate was right not to 'correct' you..I think we all work in whatever dimension and size is best suited to us, quite naturally. Your leaf and garlic are simply wonderful, I'm delighted for your returning art mojo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia...I'm so thrilled you came to leave a comment.
      I think WOYWW is such a brilliant idea and will certainly help to keep me focused. I just now have to get the time to visit everyone else's desk!

      I hope your having a crafty week :D

      Delete
  17. I really love that work you have shown us. Stylish and crisp, and very addictive, I would think. Thank you for your visit this week and I look forward to seeing you back again soon. xx Maggie #8
    PS are you aware that you have the dreaded unreadable Word Verification still turned on? I know I am not the only one who finds it very hard to read the fuzzy letter, so If you could turn it off we would be very grateful. A lot of people will not even attempt to leave a comment if they see it turned on. If yo want to turn it off, but are not sure, just ask and we can help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very therapeutic Maggie. Thank you for such lovely compliments about my designs and yes I hope to be back next week with more.
      I even snook away today and did two more designs ;0

      Thank you also for pointing out about my word verification being turned on...I have been meaning to check, but just didn't get round to it. Such a busy week meeting all the WOYWW members.
      I've now switched it off because I know how annoying it seems to be to so many :D

      Delete
  18. Your work is beautiful! I know I could never do something like that, the patience it must take. Well done! Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer,
      Look, if I can do it then I'm sure you could too. I was amazed once I started just how easy and relaxing it was.
      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment...you have no idea how excited I get to meet people.
      I hope you're having a wonderful weekend too. Enjoy :D

      Delete
  19. Hi Neesie, I think your work is wonderful and I do believe that in art, there are no mistakes! And creativity is like a muscle, the more you use it, the more creativity and imagination you will have! Exciting isn't it? Patsy from
    HeARTworks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patsy,
      I believe that creating this blog kick started my creativity again, so I'm really thankful. I really enjoy it...and it's led me to get back to art which is brilliant.
      I think you're so right about creativity and imagination. You have to use it to help it grow...I intend to nurture mine now that it's returned.
      Have a great week :D

      Delete

I get so excited to see you here and love to read your thoughts and comments.
I always try to answer each one personally (I think it's only polite)
...♥...I truly appreciate your precious time here so thank you ...♥...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...