“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ....Oscar Wilde

Sunday 21 October 2012

Eden Park Bed and Breakfast...Auckland, New Zealand


If you mention Eden Park in Auckland the natural assumption might be that you're talking about the Eden Park Stadium, New Zealand's largest stadium...the home of Auckland Cricket and Rugby.
The stadium that hosted the 2011 Rugby World Cup.
But not in my case...Eden Park to me means luxury bed and breakfast accommodation in an historic Edwardian villa.  
We've stayed in hotels of various ratings throughout the world, but for this trip we wanted a more personalised touch, so we decided to try boutique Bed and Breakfast Hotels. 
My initial thoughts of B&B brought back childhood memories...not always good ones but let me tell you B&B accommodation has certainly moved on since then. 

Eden Park Bed and Breakfast is located in Mt Eden, in central Auckland. 
Built in 1905 by a wealthy banker, the house has been immaculately restored to it's former elegance, yet sympathetically combined with modern comfort.

  Our room (featured in below photograph) was the premiere queen size room with fireplace and luxurious en-suite bathroom. All the beautiful linen and towels plus the cosy soft robe made it so easy to relax and unwind.
   The decor, ambience, personalized service and mind-set of both Marlene and Anthony McAnulty make your stay a memorable one. They are the perfect hosts.
Marlene is also an incredible cook and the gourmet breakfasts we sampled were exquisite. 
Her scambled eggs are sublime and I don't even like eggs!

The perfect spot to sit for a while...

Oh and did I mention Mr Darcy lives there...?
Mr Darcy has his own apartment and won't bother you...
oh boy could he teach Muffy a thing or two.


(in his younger days...courtesy of  Marlene and Anthony's Website)



(Photograph courtesy of Marlene and Anthony's Website)

I should state here and now that I'm not receiving any remuneration/rewards for posting this information...
I just think when people go to great lengths to ensure such a great service
 then they deserve credit.
If you don't believe me then just read the 250 trip advisor reviews!

Much as we enjoyed our stay there it's time to move on...
Off once more on the road to our next destination...
But taking in all the spectacular scenery and views can build up an appetite...
So coming across a sign for fresh oysters meant there was nothing for it but to take a quick pit stop.

The shop is located on Clevedon-Kawakawa Bay Road 9 km from Clevedon.
It was great to read their information board inside that had photographs and details about the oyster farm.
I really have only recently become a fan and certainly didn't know how they were farmed. 

The oysters have been grown in the clean, clear waters of the Hauraki Gulf for over 21 years. 
They cultivate, harvest and process only the juiciest, ripest oysters from their two farming areas on the Clevedon Coast and Waiheke island.
 They take great pride in being recognized as an international leader in the production of natural oysters and I have to tell you these were the most delicious freshest oysters I've tasted. 
A nice chilled bottle of wine would have gone down very well but with travelling on these roads that's not recommended...(well drinking and driving anywhere for that matter is not recommended)


  So enjoy the ride and hopefully we'll meet again soon..... ;D

22 comments:

  1. Wow stunning. Glad you're enjoying yourself. Take care Zo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be the holiday that keeps on giving Zo.
      I'm currently sitting on a hillside in the middle of an olive grove! I could be in Tuscany...there again I hear a pheasant's call so should that be Scotland...or because of blackbirds, thrushes and chaffinches are on the lush lawn should it be England? :$
      It's all very confusing but I'm just going with the flow ;D

      I hope you're doing okay and that you have a great week ahead.
      Thanks for joining me in my early morning cuppa here.
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Hi Neesie,

    What a beautiful B&B. It sounds as if it was a perfect stay during a great road trip. I've had oysters a few times, both raw and cooked. Your photo looks yummy but it's mid-morning here and I think I'd rather have a bowl of greek yogurt!

    Hope the rest of your trip is great.

    Hugs,
    kay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just Kay...but we're now in our fourth accommodation of the trip and each one has been spectacular for different reasons.
      I hope to let you take a peek at all of them, just so you can decide which to visit when you come here ;D

      I don't think I could do raw oysters this early either even though they were so good...muesli, fruit, yogurt and juice with a pot of tea will do me ;D

      Have a great week whatever you have planned...I hope it's a good one and thanks for joining me for my early dawn cuppa :D
      (Monday)
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. what a great holiday. keep on keeping on my dear!
    Hugs,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe... I'll do my best Jenn,
      It seems this is the holiday that just keeps giving and I'm gratefully accepting ;D

      Catch up with you soon. In the meantime have fun :D
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. We stayed in a boutique B&B (in Wellington) once. It was amazingly good. Completely different experience to staying in an hotel - much more pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have stayed in three boutique B&B's since arriving here and each one has been totally different. Each been such a pleasure to stay in for different reasons.

      We're visiting a winery/vineyard tomorrow for a tasting table and guess what Mark? They're our next door neighbour, so we can take a short cut through the olive grove! Not bad eh? ;D

      Have a great week and thanks for stopping by ~ I'll pop across to you as soon as I can. :D

      Delete
  5. Great pictures, the B&B looks wonderful, warm and cozy, very inviting indeed! Love all the pictures, so nice of you to take us along with you on vacation! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Sandee but I'm that kinda gal!
      I couldn't leave you all behind now could I? ;D

      I'm trying to cram in so much to each day that I'm only sleeping for about four hours each night.
      That's when I'm sneaking my online time during the wee small hours.

      Waving hi from the hillside amongst the olive grove :D

      Delete
  6. Goodness, I'm going to have to read back a few posts to catch up! What a lovely B&B! Mr Darcy is adorable! Such beautiful views! I have never eaten a raw oyster and don't think I ever will but I don't mind Oysters Kilpatrick. Enjoy the rest of your trip....sounds wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe...sorry you're having to catch up Serena. I did swing by your place to collect you but there was no answer. ;D

      Mr Darcy was so well behaved and only came to say 'hello' if he was given permission. I just couldn't imagine Mufftypup behaving like that! She's just full on from first sight! ^..^

      I've never been one for seafood and oysters but when you have produce that is so fresh there's nothing not to like!
      I've just googled Oysters Kilpatrick because I have to admit I've never heard of it...looks tasty and one I'll have to try.
      Thanks for sharing :D

      Delete
  7. Wow! Places worth visiting:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Joy and I've still got so much more to show you. ;D

      Thanks for visiting and I'll be over to you once I'm free.
      Have a great week :D

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness what a feast for weary eyes! I completely agree about giving credit where it's due when good service is given. The last B&B I stayed in was....well, let's just say...nothing like yours! What a cracking place to rest up in and oh what a handsome fellow Mr Darcy is!
    Such fabulous views along the road, I wish we could have bade a little longer *sigh*. Ach well, off to the next place in our adventure, but you're so secretive, I don't know whether I should have packed my pac-a-mac in case of rain...! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep...we've moved on twice since that B&B so there's still lots to show you...hence taking so long to reply to your brilliant comments ;D
      Each location and accommodation have been fabulous for different reasons. I'm sure you're going to approve!

      Mr Darcy was adorable ^..^ and so obedient....Mufftypup could certainly learn a thing or two from him!

      I think it's a good idea to pack your pac-a-mac but also pop in your sunscreen because like Melbourne the weather can change within a few minutes! ;D

      Now don't tell anyone else but we're off to the Coromandel Penninsula. :D
      xoxo

      Delete
  9. That B&B Looks wonderful...I am so glad you both are having a great relaxing time... Mr Darcy looks very handsome... Just as well wee Muffin stayed at home or she would demanding her own room too!! Fabulous Photographs Nessie... Enjoy"" Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there May,
      The hosts certainly knew what was needed even before their guests knew what they wanted!

      Oh my...if Muffin stayed there she'd definitely want her own room ^..^ probably the 'Queen' room. (lol)
      I'm about to post our next installment. So much still to show you.

      I hope you're having a great week...I don't think I'll make it to WOYWW this week so can you say 'hi' to everyone for me?

      Enjoy desk hopping and I'll visit you as soon as I can xoxo

      Delete
  10. Wow! I've never stayed in a bed and breakfast. That looked really nice! And the scenery--wow again! Enjoy your trip!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Rita, I can recommend it ~ highly!
      I think you'd love it. You really can feel spoilt and why not? ;D

      Must dash to get next post published...we're off again!

      I hope you're having a great week...I can't believe it's nearly Wednesday already. :D

      Delete
  11. This is a very beautiful place to stay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed.
      Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comment. I appreciate it :D

      Enjoy your day!

      Delete

I get so excited to see you here and love to read your thoughts and comments.
I always try to answer each one personally (I think it's only polite)
...♥...I truly appreciate your precious time here so thank you ...♥...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...