“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ....Oscar Wilde

Tuesday 3 March 2015

Knock knock... who's there?

I'm carrying on with the bird theme this morning because we are quite literally in a flap.
The reason being that we have had new visitors come to call.
I had mentioned to my daughter that I was pretty sure that I'd seen a Jay near the garden for a few days now, but because they are so flighty I couldn't be sure.
I'd not managed to see more than a flash of white on it's rump, as I spooked the visitor every time I went near a window.
I know I can look a little scary first thing in the morning, but I felt this was a little harsh. Anyway, yesterday after walking around and replenishing the bird feeders (one of my early morning chores) I became aware of a larger different bird coming near.
From an upstairs window using all the stealth we could muster... crawling along the floor to peek over the window ledge, we managed (or should I say my daughter managed) to get a few photos of him/her.
Now isn't that something...
Although the Jay is the most colourful members of the crow family, they can actually be quite difficult to see.
The are very timid and shy woodland birds. 
That's one of the reasons why I feel so privileged that they have broken their cover from the nearby woods to visit our plot.
If you'd like to know a little more about the Jay then here's a link to the RSPB website...click here
But look... we didn't only get one visiting... we in fact got two.
The bird seed must be top-notch because a few minutes later two more came to join the party!
Four Jay's feasting!
What a sight and considering they are not supposed to be in the North of Scotland, I'm taking full credit for my daily dedication of keeping the feeding stations fully topped up. I mainly use black sunflower seeds that have had the husks removed... (all the more easy to gobble and no mess) apparently only the best five star birdie restaurants have them on their menu.
(Brinvale Bird Food)
News of a different sort is that my fingers are happy tapping away this morning.
I finally have my laptop back.
Although my fingers know the keys it's now down to my brain and IT ability to work out where everything is.
It's been completely reworked so there's new files and messages popping up like popcorn popping in the pan!
It'll take some time to reorganise but I'll get there.
Things may not look or be quite the same but then change is good for you isn't it?.
 It keeps it all fresh.
In the meantime, I hope your week is going well and you have some lovely visitors come to call.
Until next time... have fun

17 comments:

  1. Yep word is out...five star dining at Neesie's and no reservations needed!!! ;) Gorgeous birdies. Nice shooting, camera-wise that is. Have a wonderful day. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nan, it took quite a bit of work to finally capture the photos. Not ideal to be through the window but there's no way these shy birdies would let us get near.
      Certainly word has spread because I counted 24 gold finches flocking around one tree feeder the other day. I can virtually see the seed disappear before my eyes!
      All worth it though.
      Have a wonderful day too whatever you have planned
      Hugs backatcha xoxo

      Delete
  2. Beautiful bird and great photo's. Your Jay is very different from ours. We get both Scrub Jays and Steller Jays in the mts. Both are almost completely blue in color.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Darla,
      I've seen your Jay's before and they are so blue compared to ours.
      They've been to visit again this morning so they didn't just stop whilst passing through. It looks like they might stay.
      Have a great day and thanks for stopping by my place.
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. What fabulous shots - bravo Nic! How wonderful to have these elusive birds come to visit, you must surely have the best eaterie around.
    The week is going well, but with no special visitors here. A thin layer of snow this morning, but the sun has seen it on its way. ((hugs)) xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did take some too Mo... but it is my daughters camera, so she knows more of the settings than me. (or that's my excuse) I think she lost patience watching me twiddle all of the nobbs!
      We haven't seen any snow this week. It's been glorious sunshine but with a biting wind. A real hoolie last night that was so strong it blew over the big chunky bird table.
      Have a great day (((hugs backatcha)))
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. Hi Nessie!
    These are beautiful!
    Good job crawling along the floor and grabbing a shot! Hahaha!
    Kudos to your daughter!
    Our Jays are very big birds....and all blue!
    Love seeing them at the feeders!
    Enjoy your week...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why pray tell did I call you Nessie......Denise!

      Delete
    2. Don't worry Linda... I answer to many names as long as they're polite ;D
      I used Neesie at the start of blogging but my everyday name is Denise.
      Many people use the name NESSIE as in the monster but I'm not sure why? hehe
      Maybe it's because I'm in Bonnie Scotland... it couldn't be any other reason :?
      Thanks for your lovely comment and I hope you're having a fantastic week
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. You sure do have quite an array of bird visitors. Love them! So colorful and beautiful shots. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't managed to capture them all Laurie but hopefully I will.
      When we first moved back here I was quite saddened by the lack of birds visiting our garden. I'd fed them for years earlier but when I went missing so did they... but I've managed to bring them back and a whole lot more too.
      Thanks for your visit. Now I have my laptop back I hope to catch up with all my blogging and visiting.
      See you soon xoxo

      Delete
  6. You are right - Jay's are very wary birds, and therefore hard to photograph. We get them visiting our garden quite frequently, but they never stay long. Rush in, grab something, and go - that's their style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it precisely Mark... kinda smash and grab birds.
      They often fly off even before I've registered that they are there.
      At least we managed to get these photos...even if they were through glass.
      I can't imagine sitting under camouflage for hours waiting for that shot.
      I'm not that dedicated I'm afraid... I wish I was.
      Enjoy your Wednesday and thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.

      Delete
  7. You've always had the best bird seed around, glad to see all the birds still party at your place!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've heard too Wren... word does spread doesn't it.
      I managed to see a wren up really close yesterday but unfortunately didn't have my camera to hand. I immediately thought of you.
      He seemed quite content for me to be gawping at him and I had a chance to take in all of his tiny details. He was gorgeous.
      Have a great day whatever you have planned for this Wednesday. Have fun
      xoxo

      Delete
  8. oh these are lovely. i have a bird bath in the backyard but we just get horrible rampant noisy miners which are taking over urban and suburban gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that I was able to capture them Sherry because they aren't supposed to be up here in the North East of Scotland but nobody told them ;D
      Having said that I haven't seen them since. I do hope they are still around.
      Oh I remember those noisy miner birds from when we lived in Melbourne.
      Thanks for visiting and taking the time to write.
      Have a great week whatever you get up to...have fun

      Delete

I get so excited to see you here and love to read your thoughts and comments.
I always try to answer each one personally (I think it's only polite)
...♥...I truly appreciate your precious time here so thank you ...♥...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...